Gratitude for Pessimists


I am not a particularly optimistic person. And when I say not particularly, I mean, not at all. My optimistic friends call me pessimistic, but I do not identify as a pessimist - I would say I am more of a realist.

It is hard for me to be around people who believe everything will just work out, because, I have been in situations where things do not work themselves out. I take a long time to trust people because of my own experiences with failed friendships.

However, despite my negatively-tinted outlook on life, I make a point to practice gratitude. That is how this whole blog began, and writing over the past four years has made gratitude a habit of mine.

For me, gratitude and pessimism/realism can coexist. I can bemoan the rain and also be thankful for it. I can complain about LA traffic and also be thankful for the time I spend with my best friend in the car, listening to our favorite music.

I find that the more I practice gratitude in frustrating decisions, I am able to let things be, to live in the moment, and to try let go of my especially negative opinions. Being grateful does not magically solve my problems, but it allows me to find the good in my every day life.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE