LAX To Panama City

I am so excited to announce I will be going to Panama for spring break to teach dance to youth in orphanages. At Loyola Marymount University, I am the Co-President of our chapter of Movement Exchange and the National Dance Education Organization. In partnership with these organizations, we seek to provide dance education opportunities to those who may not ordinarily have access to dance.

Movement Exchange is a nonprofit organization focused on creating relationships through international dance diplomacy and education. The organization has chapters at universities across America and partners with dancers in Panama and Brazil to develop and sustain dance education. Six other Loyola Marymount University dancers and I are participating in a week-long dance exchange to Panama. During our trip, we will teach dance to youth in schools and orphanages around Panama City. Additionally, we will have the opportunity to teach and learn at the University of Panama, as well as explore the beautiful beaches and jungles.

I am really passionate about this dance exchange in Panama for a few reasons. First, Movement Exchange provides dance education in Panama year-round, and my program fee supports the youth both before and after I leave. There are so many great international volunteer opportunities, but many lead to "voluntourism," a slang word for going to another country to volunteer for a week and then leaving the country with no resources to continue improvement on their own. Movement Exchange focuses on empowering local communities by supporting continuous dance education.

Additionally, I will also take class from Panamanian dancers and teachers. This is important to me because it allows for a true exchange of information - across cultures and national identities. Rather than going to Panama and asserting my dance knowledge as superior, I will receive the opportunity to share what I love about dance and receive knowledge in return.

Finally, I am beyond excited to go to a Spanish-speaking country. I studied Spanish from 4th grade through my senior year of high school, and I have never been able to practice it. I will definitely need to brush up on my grammar, but I am thrilled to explore Panama and the Spanish language.

To support my trip to Panama, I have created a GoFundMe. The money I am raising will cover airfare and the program fee, which directly supports Panamanian youth in receiving dance education both before and after I leave. In lieu of Christmas gifts, I would really appreciate donations to this cause. Here is the link to donate: http://gf.me/u/pkrgh9 Thank you for your generosity!

For a little more information, below is the director of Movement Exchange, Adele Switzer, giving a TEDx Talk on the importance of dance diplomacy and education.


Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE