Twenty Fun


I have not published a blog post in over a month, which is the longest hiatus I have taken since starting Polyliteramore three and a half years ago. The past four weeks of my life have been incredibly difficult. Usually, I am really good at handling everything all by myself. I pride myself in my independence. I have lived in Los Angeles for almost two and a half years, far from family and friends. I love spending time by myself. But everything seemed like too much to handle all by myself over the past month.

There is no better way to fight off gloom than by celebrating a birthday, and mine was this past Friday. I turned 21, and I was not really excited about it. I have never been into drinking or the college party culture, and I thought it would not be that fun.

I stretched out my birthday celebration over two weekends. First, my mom came to visit me for fall break. We went to the beach and the Getty. I had so much fun lazily spending a few days off campus. I did not realize how much I needed to leave until I left. We celebrated my birthday early with some cupcakes, and my mom brought candles from home.


      

This week, my RA boss made me carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting for our Wednesday night staff meeting. She texted my mom to find out my favorite flavor, and I was so surprised to have such a treat at our late staff meeting. Please excuse our pajamas in the photo!


I celebrated my birthday a little bit every day over this weekend, and although I still was not very excited to be 21, I definitely enjoyed myself, perhaps the sweetest birthday in a long time. It was a good reminder that there are people all over the world who love me, and I can rest in that knowledge.

Expect more blog posts to come - my hiatus is over!

     

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE