Turning to Fiction in Search of Truth

A Semester Journey Through Literature



When I saw Harry Potter on the reading list for a Special Studies in English History class, I registered for the course without a second thought. Much to my surprise, the syllabus during the first week of class did not even touch upon Harry Potter until the last few weeks. As the professor moved through Beowulf, Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales, and Paradise Lost, I nearly lost all hope. What had I gotten myself into?

The class covered over one thousand years of the romance tradition in literature. Unlike my previous misconception, literary romance has much more to do with a heroic story than one about love. Early romance features flat characters with few characteristics other than their basic good or evil nature, and the purpose of the hero is to complete his quest. Before the 20th century, nearly every hero was male, and the quest involved both a conquering of external obstacles and the achievement of courtly love. Women were featured on the side as one of two options - good and pure or an evil temptress. Needless to say, I was a bit frustrated with the texts.

When we finally began to read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone a few weeks ago, I nearly cried with relief. Finally, I would be able to enjoy myself. I reread the book in one day, and I was shocked. All the information we spent the entire semester reviewing transformed Harry Potter for me.

Reading Harry Potter in the different stages of my life, affected how I perceived the book. When I first read Harry Potter, the fantasy was the most exciting part; at age seven, I was thrilled by the world Rowling creates with her words. As I returned to Harry Potter in middle school and high school, the historical fiction aspects attracted my attention. I loved the seamless blend between the Muggle world that I live in and the magical world of Hogwarts.

Now, in college, I find reading Harry Potter with the romance lens captivating. I noticed how JK Rowling kept elements of the romantic quest while subverting the notion of femininity with the intellectual prowess of Hermione. Even though Harry acts as the hero on a quest, his character is nuanced, and he experiences a lifelike vacillation between the desire for good and the temptation of evil. Finally, everything clicked, and I saw Harry Potter in a new light, picking up on the way Rowling maintains the traditions of romance but also subverts them.

After reading Harry Potter, the class turned to Persepolis, a graphic novel about an Iranian woman growing up amidst the Islamic Revolution. Then, we watched The Force Awakens, the first of the latest Star Wars trilogy. Because I had struggled through all the hard texts from the beginning of the course, I fell in love with literature and the heroic quest because I saw how authors play upon literary history and create new traditions.

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live" Albus Dumbledore

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE