Trip to Taize

A Compilation of Restaurants and Sights to See



After spending over seven hours waiting for our delayed flight to London, missing our layover to Geneva, showing up at the wrong hotel, and rescheduling our bus ride to Taize, the trip to Taize truly was a pilgrimage (that is, a difficult journey of spiritual significance). Yet, I would not have it any other way. Among the many detours, here are the gems we found in London, Geneva, and France.

London
  • Novotel London Heathrow Airport - After ordering salmon and cream cheese sandwiches from room service at 2am, I had the best 30 minute nap on a bed in this hotel before waking up to catch our new layover to Geneva.
  • Gordon Ramsay - Desperate for food and funded by American Airlines after the flight mishap, my group had breakfast at the airport. I had the best yogurt, granola, and berries with a delicious green tea before the flight to Geneva.
  • Caffe Nero - On the way back to America, I had a great chai tea latte from this Italian cafe in the airport.

Geneva
  • Hotel Les Nations - We stayed in this hotel both before and after our time at Taize, and it had a great continental breakfast, complete with bread, cheese, and hot chocolate.
  • United Nations - After navigating the bus and train system, my friends and I visited the United Nations on a rainy Geneva morning.
  • St. Pierre Cathedral - Feeling the effects of the long plane rides and jet lag, we climbed the tower of this Calvinist church to see a beautiful panoramic view of the city.
  • Basilique Notre-Dame de Genève - We attended a 5pm French Mass at this Church, and I was amazed at the attendance and varied community.
  • Cave Valaisanne et Chalet Suisse - I tried fondu for the first time here, along with a delicious pesto pasta.
  • Denner - This local grocer is perfect for one kind of peanut butter and 500 different varieties of Swiss chocolate.
  • Parc Beaulieu - We explored this little park with gorgeous views of the Alps during our second stay in Geneva.
  • Restaurant Chez ma Cousine Petit-Saconnex - After a week of bread and butter in Taize, I had a delicious goat cheese salad at this restaurant to celebrate the end of our trip.
France
  • Taizé Community - Surrounded by the French countryside, I loved every moment here, both with my group and with my larger world community. The weather was beautifully rainy before it cleared up at the end of the week. 
  • Abbaye de Cluny - After leaving Taize, we explored the cobblestone streets of Cluny. The ruins of the abbey rise amidst the bakeries and chic clothing stores in a way that merges the past and present.
  • Le Bon Pain - I had the best vegetable quiche from this little French bakery. My last taste of France, I savored every bite.

A week post-trip, I am yet again filled with gratitude for the chance to expand my horizons through the process of travel. As always, I hope this will only be the beginning of my life's exploration.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE