Saying Yes

How I Turned Last Semester's No into This Semester's Yes

Over the weekend, I performed in my first dance show as a college student. After being a member of the crew for the fall show, it was thrilling to finally be on stage again as a performer. Titled Impulse, my performance in this student-directed, student-choreographed show was made up of a million little moments based on the events and experiences of my first semester. 

First, I danced in a duet choreographed by a sophomore as part of an undergraduate research project. When I was selected to be a part of the piece, the choreographer informed the dancers that there would be twists and turns along the way to add an element of randomness into the choreographic process. Accustomed to creative choreographers, I did not think much of the various methods she employed as we learned the dance. That is, until Tuesday, when we were informed that for the final show, we would be dancing to a piece of music we had never heard before.

I was so nervous and thrown off by the idea that I would have to dance to a different piece of music that I was nearly sick before I went onstage, But the moment the lights blacked out, I experienced a sense of calm, because I had no control over the dance, I simply had to experience the movement as if it were the first time again. It ended up being a beautiful three minutes. Though not technically perfect, the emotion and sense of newness behind the movement was entirely genuine.

I choreographed the second piece I danced in, and I danced with two of my fellow freshman dance majors. This dance was born out of two experiences where I turned a no into a yes. In one situation, a ballet teacher told me I could not wear pointe shoes in class, and in the other, a music director told me it would be nearly impossible to have live music at a dance show.

So, being the stubborn person I am, I choreographed a dance en pointe to a live saxophone duet. It was perhaps the most obstinate and stressful thing I have ever done, yet so incredibly rewarding. I titled the dance Running with Scissors, after a friend compared my choreographic process to a child running with scissors - even though adults tell them no, kids still do it.

I grew so much as a performer and choreographer throughout this rehearsal period, but the most important part of the show was the friendships I made. In the LMU Dance Program, I have truly found a home away from home, complete with people to support me when I try to turn the impossible into the possible. Above all, I am so blessed to study, live, and breathe what I love everyday with the people I love.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE