Gratitude in Action

How Learning to Say Thank You Changed the Course of My Relationships




By the second week of my second semester, I have already received compliments from my friends. A brief disclaimer: this is more of a reflection on them than on me, for they choose to see the good in me, even when I go to bed early and miss hanging out because I have rehearsal. This search for the good in life is all part of the LMU campus attitude I am infinitely grateful for.

Not long ago, when I would receive a compliment, I would deny it or shift the ownership to someone else. For example, if someone told me I looked beautiful, I would respond, "I am not! You are." More commonly in the college classroom setting, people would say, "I loved the comment you made in class earlier today," and I would brush it aside.

I rarely said thank you, and when I did, it was followed by an addendum, an "and" or a "but."

Now, I simply say thank you. I try to reciprocate with a compliment of my own if possible, but I refuse to alter the other person's statement. (Of course, if the original compliment is not true, I will most definitely say something.)

I went to Venice last weekend and took photos with some of my friends. Usually, I feel incredibly awkward and uncomfortable taking photos, but they made me feel beautiful and I actually enjoyed myself. In that moment, I realized how much I long for every person to feel loved and beautiful, so that all can be the best versions of themselves.

Self-affirmation is so important because happiness is rooted within the human person. We cannot depend on other people's words and actions to uphold our self-worth, for human dignity already exists long before compliments. However, communal affirmation is what makes the world go round.

Daily encounters with genuine people and little acts of kindness inspire me to be a better person. I am constantly amazed by the kindness of people in this world, especially among my college community. People perform acts of kindness not out of an inflated ego, but out of the most lovely sense of true love for others.

I believe people are intrinsically good, and thus, I am in love with humanity. Saying thank you and then reciprocating kindness is one of my new ways to give back to the community that is humankind.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE