Books on Break

 The Color PurpleThe Forgotten Room
Over Thanksgiving, I finally had the chance to read, not just one book, but two. I anticipated reading less when I came to college, but I did not realize the opposite would be the case. Instead, I read constantly; from the newspaper, to blogs, to academic books, to journals, to essays, I read, on average, 200 to 400 pages per week for classes. But, by the end of the day, I barely have enough energy to shower, let alone keep my eyes open to read a book for pleasure. Luckily, I am starting my English major classes next semester, so I will start to read more novels and fiction for class.

A new, but dear, friend of mine gave me The Color Purple by Alice Walker as a Thanksgiving present. It made my week; I was so thrilled to have a book in my hands for the plane ride home. Plus, giving a book as a gift is such a personal and eye-opening experience; it lets you see into the heart of a person a little more than usual.

The Color Purple is written as a series of letters between two African American sisters, one who is captive as a child bride and the other who escaped to be a missionary in Africa. Though both sisters came from the same heritage and background, the book exemplifies the difference between their two situations. Filled with loss and sorrow, as well as hope and strength, the book covers dark themes including sexuality, sexual assault, and racism, but rises to a triumphant end. The resounding message rests in the power of sisterhood to pursue racial and sexual equality against all odds. I devoured this book on the plane ride home.

Co-written by Karen White, Beatriz Williams, and Lauren Willig, The Forgotten Room occupied my flight back to California. I had bought The Forgotten Room back in October when my dad took me to the Santa Monica Barnes&Noble store. Yet another historical fiction World War II novel, the books details the story of three women spanning three generations. As the book progresses, art, love, and family intertwine to create a love story that transcends socioeconomic boundaries. I loved the subtle incorporation of art and history into this book, and the way the authors slowly reveal the connections between the characters as the story develops.

Now that I am in the midst of lengthy research papers and finals, I look forward to reading more books on my next break, which will be a much-needed three weeks of rejuvenation.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE