Reflections on my Golden Birthday

On Wednesday, October 19th, I turned 19 years old, officially celebrating my golden birthday and my last year as a teenager. My, how much I have changed in the years since I turned 13.

Being a teenager for six years encompasses a tumultuous time of one's life. The most important lesson I have gained in the past six years involves following my passions and remaining confident in my life. College has rewarded the difficult events I endured when my passions and my confidence were questioned. I am so grateful for the friends I have made that are enthralled with the person I am right now. What a wonderful feeling.

Here are the events scattered throughout my birthday month that I am using to celebrate.

Two Fridays ago, I spent a good portion of my budget in Harry Potter World. This was my birthday gift to myself. From the butterbeer to the Ravenclaw scarf, it was worth every penny.
Ravenclaw scarf
On the actual day of my birthday, I bought all my favorite on campus foods - a pumpkin muffin from the coffee shop, sushi, and a green tea smoothie from Jamba Juice. Then, I ventured to Starbucks for a free pumpkin spice chai tea latte, and I bought fruit from the grocery store.

The night of my birthday, my dorm threw an Oreo Party in which we bought every possible kind of Oreo and sampled them all. LMU has a tradition in which students throw freshmen into the fountain on the midnight of their birthday, but I missed out because I sleep too much. So after too much sugar from an obscene amount of Oreos, I jumped in the fountain on my own; it was a day late, but so much fun anyway.
Oreo Party
This Friday, I went to a local crepe shop and had a delicious blueberry crepe, paired with boba tea and lovely conversation. I could not believe the variety at KC's Crepes - they had over 100 different sweet and savory crepes. Another time, I want to return to eat a savory crepe as lunch and a sweet crepe as dessert.
 KC's Crepes Los Angeles
Last night, for my ballet class, I went with a few other dance majors to Los Angeles Ballet's Modernists, a three-work performance of Balanchine, Hubbard Street, and Bournonville choreography. The relatively new ballet company stunned me with their repertoire and precise movement. I was enthralled.
 Los Angeles Ballet
After the ballet, I managed to catch the tail end of the Honors Formal dance. I was originally upset because I would be so late, but when I walked in, everyone greeted me with excitement. I am so blessed to have inadvertently found a group of people in Honors who genuinely care about each other. Despite midterms, endless papers, and sleepless nights, the past two weeks surrounding my birthday have been filled with some of the best moments of my life.

I am so excited to extend my birthday celebration a little longer when my dad comes to visit me next week. We plan to go to the Getty Museum and catch up on some errands. All in all, my golden birthday, and the month of October, have been an occasion to remember.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE