The Boston Girl


This book satisfied me in a way no book has in a long time. Set in Boston in the early to mid 1900s, it follows a similar style as my favorite book of all time, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Both books tell the story of young girls overcoming incredible obstacles to make lives for themselves, particularly through education.

As I started back to school this week, I thought about the main character, Addie Baum, and her struggle to obtain an education. Though it may be hard to complete my schoolwork and wake up early, it is so easy for me to attend school. I have been thinking about how grateful I am for my education, something I will be sure to touch on this week in my gratitude post (this week's theme is education).

But beyond education, Addie worked her entire life to better herself and her surroundings. I related to her naive nature when dealing with a boyfriend for the first time, and the feeling of freedom she experienced from breaking off an unhealthy relationship. Her desire for more echoes in my own hopes and dreams.

A week after New Year's day, many resolutions have already gone awry. Obviously, it is simply the nature of humanity, and I could chalk it up to that and let things be.

But I do not want to. Why give up on the good things in life?

The Boston Girl inspired me to not give up on the things that I work for. I will not succumb to the dangerous disease of senioritis after working more than 13 long years for my diploma. I will not settle into my old habits and let this year's resolutions pass by, forgotten.

I am striving, not for a new version of myself, but for a better version. Not for a perfect version, but a good enough version. And this is a fight I will not give up.

Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE