Femme Fatale


I saw King Princess play at the Fonda Theatre on Friday night. My best friend, Abby, and I love going to concerts, and there is so much live music in LA, but the concerts are often on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Unfortunately, we always have too many responsibilities to go to a concert in the middle of the week. 
I have followed King Princess for the past year, and I love her pseudo-pop music blending indie vibes and poetic lyrics. Born Mikaela Straus in Brooklyn, NY, she moved to LA to study at the USC Thornton School of Music. She dropped out to focus entirely on her career. Her single "1950" received a lot of attention when Harry Styles tweeted about it in 2018, and her career launched after that. 
The concert was so fun, and I loved hearing her play live, but she played a lot of unreleased songs from her upcoming album, so I could not sing along. She only played three songs I knew, but they sounded even better live.
Abby and I were doing our makeup and getting ready for the concert, and she joked, "This is the best part." In so many ways, she is right. Half of the fun of doing something is enjoying the anticipation. The buildup to a concert - buying tickets, saving the date, picking an outfit, getting ready - is often just as fun as the actual event.
A glimpse of our before-concert routine: we usually get dinner and buy Tostitos Hint of Lime chips because they make us drink water. We send each other photos of potential outfits since our rooms are far away, and after we are ready, we take lots of bathroom selfies. 
As much fun as the concert was, the best part is before. I think it is a little like life, in the sense that it is okay to revel in the anticipation of a good moment. Enjoying that anticipation can soften the blow when the moment is, in fact, mediocre or relatively normal. These are the precious moments. 



Comments

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE